Encapsulation for Storage and Transport
Cell-in-a-Box® provides a microenvironment for cells to grow in. It also protects them from freezing stress in combination with specific cryoprotectants. Austrianova has developed a proprietary freezing process for encapsulated cells which results in recovery percentages of up to 95% of frozen cells. Further, our studies to date have shown survival times after freezing and storage at -80oC of well over 6 years.
Once frozen, the encapsulated cells can be easily shipped on dry ice. We have previously vaiidated transport of frozen encapsulated cells on dry ice once round the world. This provides an excellent way to store and transport fragile cells such as stem cells.
Advantages of encapsulating cells for storage and transport:
- Provides a microenvironment for cell growth
- Allows freezing at -80C and transport on dry ice
- Recovery percentages up to 95%
- Storage shown for more than 6 years at -80C
- Cells can be released from filled capsules using a proprietary non-toxic reagent